Thursday, March 4, 2010

To do list

I've always considered myself to be a very organized person. I make myself crazy if I don't keep myself organized. I feel like thoughts and ideas and things to do are always floating around in my head, unsupervised and reoccurring. They tend to stay that way too unless I get them out in some organized fashion. Enter iPod. This thing is amazing by the way, it can do everything! I can play games, listen to music, surf the web, pay my bills, watch TV, it's endless. But this post isn't about how awesomely amazing this device is (although I should make one, and ode to the iPod type of thing...)
It's more about the to do list. I was walking the dog this past Saturday and thinking to myself about all the things that need to get done, I had just spent most of the morning and early afternoon cleaning the house, doing laundry and just trying to get things put away and organized. Which is really not the thing I look most forward to doing on the weekends, but tis life... I felt like I made most of the difference in the bedroom, I was very proud of myself thinking that it looked like a hotel room, everything put away very neatly and no clutter to be found, and as I was walking with Gabby and thinking about this I realized I still had so much to do! ugh! It seriously never ends but I'm so thankful at the same time for all that we have. I can get all miserable thinking about how the house is never perfectly clean enough, the laundry's never ending, we always have some meaningless bunch of stuff laying around in one corner or another, but at the same time, we have a beautiful home, a lot of really nice things to fill it with, and let's be honest between the clothes that Dave and I both own and Jared's share if I ever did get caught up on the laundry completely I'd have no where to put it all!!!
But I've veered away from the topic at hand once again, I was telling you about my to do list, I was looking at it this morning and I couldn't help but to laugh at myself and how sometimes I can be so anal with little specific things, so here's the list including a little look into my psyche for your own amusement!!

Things to do
- Install Dishwasher - CHECK! Wooo hoooo
-Scan in old Photos from Grandma's albums - we actually just bought a new scanner for the Mac so I should be on the go with this one soon
- Make DVD back ups of pics (since our HD crashed - thankfully we didn't have much on it - I've been obsessing over backing up all our old pics
- make photo books/prints - nowadays with the digital cameras I find that I hardly ever get prints of pictures that I take, they all just sit in files in the computer, and if I ever did completely loose those I would be devastated (over 5 years of visual memories)
- clean basement -ugh but yes it must get done
- organize photos into albums - for all of the prints we actually do have they're all just loose in some box, it would be nice to have some rhyme or reason to it
- organize important paperwork
          * desk drawer
          * attic
          * china cabinet - that's right folks we have our "important paperwork" in three different spots into he house! What we need to do is to get a filing cabinet and keep it upstairs with the craft desk, this way all of it is in one spot. But that first includes me going through it all to decide if it's still in fact "important"
- clean out the desk - yea that too
- clean out the china cabinet - yep, yep
- organize closet and clothes - poor Dave, he has his clothes in three different spots, in our bedroom in the dresser(s), the spare room is for his work wardrobe and Jared's closet is for everyday ware (hoodies, jerseys, t-shirts). I would like to get his stuff out of the spare bedroom (soon to be baby's room - not too soon though!) and get it all into my closet, but of course that means first - organizing the closet and getting rid of alot of stuff we don't' need anymore, I swear we could open our own good will
- get dress cleaned, yep it's still sitting in the closet looking out at me! I still put it on sometimes too, lol. I first need to figure out what I'm doing with it though, am I cleaning it to keep it or to sell it? I'm not sure so there it sits.....
- sell two other dresses - yes "two" other dresses. They were both supposed to be for the Trash the Dress photo shoot. I bought the first one really early and then a couple months before the wedding I found the perfect one so I ordered that too, in hopes to sell the other one right away but never got around to it. Craigslist here I come!
- organize wedding stuff and sell - on our third floor we have boxes and boxes of stuff from the wedding, such as the ring pillow, baskets, linens, candles, etc. Alot of really cute stuff that I bought used and could totally resell. Most of the stuff that was put out at the wedding was ours, the only thing we actually rented were the chair covers, (god I LOVED those chair covers!) So yea, we have to do that too.....
- learn Photoshop and take more pictures!!!! - this is hard, working full time and trying to really get into this new hobby, there's so many ideas I have and so much I wanna do but by the time I get home, take the dog out, start dinner, do the dishes (not anymore!! although the dishwasher will still be slightly time-consuming but not nearly as bad) workout (when I feel like I'm not going to fall flat on my face) there's not much time left to plan for a photo shoot. It might sound like an excuse and maybe it is but during the week I'm so darn tired when I get home, maybe I'll be more refreshed once the weather finally breaks but we definitely take full advance of the camera when we can, and I have lots of plans for more shoots to come. The learning the Photoshop part is tricky too, it's a very large program that lets you do just about anything but it's hard to remember it all and figure out what everything means, I'm getting there, watching tutorials online and teaching myself, I'm taking alot of notes too but it gets old quick, I can't do too much at once or it's like system overload, I'm totally the type of person who wants to just jump right into things before actually knowing how to do them, it's great when it works but photoshop is alot more complicated than that. Maybe in the future it will be like the matrix where you can just download the information into your brain and then you know it all, that would be right up my ally!!!
And last but not least....
- create an Amazing Songs playlist! - you know how there are those songs that you just love? and when you hear it come on it's like shhhhhh listen, this song is amazing!! here are a few of mine - Black Velvet, Stairway to Heaven, Breathe Me (lady croissant), I wish you were here (pink Floyd), Beautiful disaster - Acoustic (Kelly Clarkson), Colorblind (counting Crows) Ok I think you have the idea, and with oh I don't know 3,000 songs on the iPod I would really love to be able to single those songs out into an Amazing Songs playlist, so gotta do that one too.....

Ok so there you have it, I hope you don't feel differently about me after this, LOL
I think alot of this is stemming from the fact that we're starting to really talk about having a baby and if it happens fast I would love to have all these things done, because enter newborn I can imagine that this list of things to do will no longer even be on the list of things to do priority wise.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Jamie:

I tried to leave a comment and wrote the whole long thing and it wouldn't let me post it!!!!

U R right the tasks never end, so don't make yourself crazy by trying to keep a perfect house because NO ONE can unless you live in a museum!!!