Monday, February 8, 2010

Dear John...

Ok so I finished Dear John (by Nicholas Sparks) over the weekend and although I did enjoy the book I was less than thrilled about the ending. For those of you that haven't read the book yet and plan to please don't continue to read this as there will be spoilers! **(you've been warned)***


So I think my biggest problem with the whole thing is that John didn't end up with the girl!? I get the selfless act of love at the end, he left her alone to be with her husband, he anonymously gave her the $ to get her husband the best care possible at MD Anderson, which most likely ultimately saved his life, but WHY WHY WHY did he let her go!? IT was obvious to me that he still loved her and even more obvious that she still loved him. Yes she loved her husband too but not the same way, she knew it, John knew it, for heaven sake even her husband knew it!!! So again I get it, but I don't like it, lol

And then at the end he's watching her and she comes out to look at the moon??!! REALLY??? I mean if that's something she still does it means John is on her mind daily, and yeah she stayed with her husband but holding that love for someone else in your heart takes away from your relationship with the person you're with. Tim stole her away in the first place, yes she knew him first but they weren't in love, and they weren't together then. I understand how things happened, John reenlisted in the Army and Tim tragically lost his parents but that doesn't excuse the fact that they found comfort and convinence in each other which is why they were together. And really it's Savannahs fault for marring Tim if she was in love with someone else. In the book she said "I tried to convince myself so many times that it would have never worked out with us" but why? I mean it just seems to me that she used Tim to get over or though her relationship with John while he was in the Army, maybe she just married him because she was guilty for using him and being a religious (and ultimately good person) she figured it was the right thing to do, any maybe that's why she stays with Tim in the end. But excuse me doesn't anyone notice that no one in this scenario is truly happy? I mean how could they be, Savannah although she loves Tim loves John more, Tim as much as he loves Savannah knows this, and John is left alone at the end, knowing Savannah is the only women he's ever loved, truly loved. ugh....not happy people......not happy!
on a side note I heard the movie was fantastic (not to mention the gorgeous actors)! Hopefully the ending is different....but in any case I'm very much looking forward to seeing it.

No comments: